Sunday, November 16, 2008

Inspired by Life

Do you ever feel that you are stuck in a rut? Doing the same old things...eating at the same old restaurants...talking about the same old things? Do you ever wonder where the excitement of life went? Do you ever look at that friend of yours on Facebook that seems to be travelling the world, going to all the great concerts, doing such amazing things and living life to the fullest while you are updating your status with how you are washing the marker off the wall that your child put on there?

I admit that I sometimes feel that way. Same old, same old. I sometimes just want some adventure...something different.

All of that to say that the new Sirius ad that came out is probably one of the best TV commercials I have ever seen. It's not funny...it has no spoken words at all...but it is probably one of the most inspiring commercials I have ever seen. Have you seen it yet? If not, you need to go watch it right now before you continue reading the post. You can view it here (it's better to see it on TV, but this is the best link I could find for the video right) or click the picture above. http://www.austinmacdonald.com/commercials/Austin%20Sirius%20Radio/Untitled-1.html

Now I'm not promoting Sirius satellite radio at all...I work for a local radio station and Sirius is sort of a competitor. But the point I'm making isn't about satellite radio...it's about experiencing something new. Over the last few weeks in radio I've been learning a lot about ads and what makes a good ad. This ad is so amazing because it doesn't try to explain to you why Sirius radio is so great. It doesn't shoot down local radio or explain to you why having hundreds of radio channels to choose from is so great. Instead, it focuses in on that desire that most of us have to get out of the rut and experience something new. It reminds us of all the great things we've experienced in our lives and how doing something new is so exciting. I'm a very musical person (not playing it, but music really gets to me) and the music in this ad inspires me to get out of the rut and do something new.

So what are you going to do? Stay in your safe zone where everything is normal and expected...or take a chance on experiencing something new that could make your life so much better...scary at first but so rewarding in the end. Tell me what you are going to do in the comments!

No comments: