Tuesday, October 4, 2005

Wake Me When It's Over


Last week I went to the dentist to get some work done (I really need to floss on a more regular basis). I realized again why I don't like going to the dentist...because it hurts! They pry away on your mouth to keep it open, start drilling on your teeth while the little pieces of tooth come flying into your face, and they stick needles in your mouth to numb it (which is a good start!).

What I would like to see is a way for them to knock me out completely during the whole process. I would love to be able to sit down in the dentist chair, say hi to the dentist as they give me a quick needle in the arm that knocks me out, and then just wake up when it's all over. It would be so simple for both the dentist and me:

1) They can just prop my mouth open while I'm sleeping instead of constantly saying "Can you open a little wider?"
2) I don't feel any pain at all
3) The time would go by very quickly

I really think this would make us all like the dentist a whole lot more. Who can argue with a quick 30 - 60 minute power nap while you get your teeth worked on.

What do you think? Do you like my idea or am I just a wimp? Is there any other place you wish you could get knocked out and just wake up when it's over?

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Sheldon-as gross as it is, i havn't been to the dentist since high school because i hate it soooo much! i hate the sound of the drilling, i hate the feeling of everything, i hate the smell in the office, i hate white masks, i hate those reclining chairs that really are not all that comfortable. until my smile is ugly, i will NOT be visiting my dentist. why do that to myself??? i agree with the knocking us out thing. i would go to the dentist regularly if i was asleep the whole time. i know they do that when you get your wisdom teeth out, but even just a cleaning! i'd pay extra for it. you are not a wimp! you are human. (i have to say that, because i think i'm a wimp too!!) i'm proud of you for going.
p.s. another place i wish i could get knocked out is the airport. i am very afraid of flying & have panic attacks for up to 2 weeks before. i have to fly on dec. 2 and am going to see my dr. to see what she can give me.