Friday, January 20, 2006

Can you Keep a Secret?


I'm excited about this weekend because it's the Alumni Soccer Tournament weekend at Bethany College! I love this event...not only because I'm the tournament organizer but it's just a lot of fun to play against all the guys I used to coach as well as play with my old teammates from when I was there.

The thing is this is a competitive yet fun event. The winning team gets their name on the Bethany Cup and gets to drink the sweet nectar (sparkling apple juice) from the Bethany Cup too. So needless to say I want to win.

In order to do that I decided I was going to try and give myself an extra edge. No, I didn't stack my team or anything. Instead, I'm blood doping.

Now if you don't know what blood doping is it works like this. You start by taking blood out of your system. Then you let your body rest for a few days as the blood replenishes itself. Then you take the blood you took out of your body and have it put back in. Now your body has an abundance of blood in it and it will give you extra energy to be able to perform better athletically. So I've decided to do this...sort of.

You see, I have it pretty easy. My body is automatically taking the blood platelets out of my body so I don't even have to remove any blood from my body. It happens automatically. So because my blood platelet count got down to a low count again (11,000), then this past week on Thursday and today I went back into the hospital and they hooked me up again for some more IV gamma globulin. So I laid there in the hospital for about 2.5 hours each day and had blood products pumped back into my body. So now I'm hoping that I will have extra energy for this weekend and can help propel my team to VICTORY! Then I'm back in the hospital again on Monday for one final treatment which will hopefully continue to pump extra blood platelets into my body.

Now blood doping is not legal when it comes to professional sports. However, I don't think any doping agency is going to be testing any of the Alumni players this weekend, so I should be good. But just in case, let's keep this hush hush just between us!

So if anyone wants to see some great soccer action this weekend, come on out to Bethany College starting at 7:00pm tonight for a great weekend of soccer. Go Geezers Go!! (That's my team)

No comments: