Friday, January 13, 2006

It was the Summer of '69



Actually it was more like the winter of '06, but yes, it was one of the best days of my life (ok, so it wasn't in the top 10, that is sort of filled with getting engaged, getting married, seeing U2, etc., but pretty close). Yep, last night I had a rocking good time at the Bryan Adams concert. My sister and her boyfriend bought Shiela and I tickets for Christmas and they were EXCELLENT seats. We were sitting on the floor level in the 5th row from the front exactly in the middle of the stage! They were some of the best tickets to a concert I had ever had! I was so close to Bryan that if I had reached out my hand I could have touched his shoe. Ok, actually I would have only touched the hair of these older ladies in front of me and probably would have been hauled away by security for sexual harrasment or something, but we were VERY close.

Honestly, it felt like Bryan was singing straight from the heart and he was rocking the place! He started off the concert singing "Room Service" which was 1 of only 2 songs he played that I didn't basically know all the words to. In the heat of the night at Credit Union Centre it was very obvious that everywhere Bryan goes, kids wanna rock and people were rocking last night. I also realized I'm getting old because during the opeing act of Daniel Powter I was wearing earplugs so I wouldn't hurt my ears, but I found that the concert was WAY more enjoyable without them and after a while I was rocking so hard I didn't care if I could ever hear again!

Some highlights of the concert were:
1) During a slower song Bryan told everyone to show their cell phones. People used to have lighters, but not anymore. I turned around and looked around the arena and there were a TON of glowing phones all over the place. It was pretty cool.

2) Bryan picked a girl from the audience to come up and sing "Baby, When You're Gone" with him. The first girl he picked went up there but when the song started she didn't know the words. So Bryan stopped the song, gave her a tambourine to play and then picked another girl from the audience. The new girl knew the words and sang it with Bryan. But tambourine girl didn't want to give up the spotlight. She tried singing into the other girls mike but Bryan then pulled the new girl closer to him so tambourine girl couldn't sing in it. Then the lead guitar player came over and kept tambourine girl company. That's when tambourine girl started getting a little crazy and was spanking herself with the tambourine, etc. She definately made a fool of herself.

3) The lead guitar player, who was amazing, had a little guitar solo showdown with Bryan which was pretty cool. I think the lead guitar player was better.

4) Did Bryan have to say the words? NO! I basically knew all the words to every song, and the best part was the music was so loud I could sing the lyrics as loud as I wanted and nobody could hear me over the real music. And I wasn't the only one. Bryan would often stop singing and it didn't matter because everyone in the entire arena was singing the lyrics for him. It was awesome!

The concert was going so well I told myself, "we can't stop this thing we started", but although it cut like a knife and Bryan said "Please forgive me", after about 2 hous and 15 minutes of playing including two encores, Bryan told all his fans that "Everything I do I do it for you" and left the stage for the final time. It felt like I was in "Heaven", but as the house lights came up I came back down to earth and will remember that I always want to be 18 til I die!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sheldon,
This was so great - I felt like I also saw Brian through your eyes. Yay for 80's rockers who just get better with age!