Thursday, April 20, 2006

And the Winner Is...

Not me. Yep, I came out second best and as the old saying goes, "2nd Place is the first loser."

What are you talking about?!?! you are all probably wondering. Well, it's about a job. Some of you may have heard that I applied for a new job which was to be the Executive Director of the Saskatoon and District Soccer Association. It was a job that I would have loved. Dealing with soccer leagues and situations on a daily basis. Working out of the new soccer centre. It would have been great. However, on Wednesday I got the call saying thanks for coming out (ok, it was a lot nicer of a phone call). The end result was that they decided to hire internally instead and promote Jason from the position of Technical Director to Executive Director. Of course that opened up the Technical Director job, which they asked me if I wanted to apply for it, but that is not quite what I am after.

So am I disappointed? Yes and No and here's why.

Yes I'm disappointed because:
  • I think I would have done a great job
  • It would be great to be doing soccer on a full time basis
  • I need a full time job come July 31st

No I'm not disappointed because:

  • I still have dreams and ideas I want to pursue and if I had been given this job I would have had to put them on hold
  • I don't know if I'm ready for an actual "office job" yet as I really love my current job
  • I won't have to back out or figure out how to do my current job and the new one (I told them I didn't want to leave my current employer out in the cold so close to the event day and would want to try to do both jobs until July 31st)
  • I can now go back on unemployment after July 31st if I need to
  • I think Jason who they hired will do a good job

There are probably lots of other reasons I thought of before but can't think of now as well. So although it would have been a great job and I would have loved it and given everything I had to it, I guess God wants me to be focusing on something else...I just have to figure out what that is now.

No comments: