Thursday, April 6, 2006

Take the Lead - Movie Review


Last night Shiela and I along with her friend Sheena and (I just blanked and forgot her name, sorry!) went to see the movie Take the Lead. "What!" you may say, "that movie isn't even in theatres yet!" To which I reply "You are correct." However, when you have free passes to a premier showing of the movie you get to watch it a little bit earlier.

Yep, I got some free tickets to go see this movie before it hits the big screen on Friday. For those of you in Saskatoon, keep your eys on the Planet S magazine because that is where I received my free tickets. All I had to do was go down to their office on Tuesday at 12:00pm and they handed out free double passes to the movie to everyone there. The guy was giving me a little bit of a hard time for talking loud (not surprised are you Pam) in a joking manner and so he gave me two double passes afterward.

The movie was ok. It's basically about this dance instructor who decides to help out an inner city school by teaching ballroom dancing to a bunch of kids in detention. It's sort of a mixture of Dangerous Minds and Sister Act. The kids however are into hip hop dancing and so the two music styles clash with each other and they need to learn to work together.

The dancing in the movie was pretty good. If you are into ballroom dancing you would love it. I thought there could have been a lot more hip hop dancing and was a little disappointed in that. The problem with this movie was that it didn't pull at the heart strings enough. You never really felt all that sorry for the inner city kids and their lives and actually the problems never really get solved. I also thought the ending was very weak and the only good part about the ending was that it ended with hip hop dancing.

I'd give this movie a 6.5 out of 10. However, if you are into dancing a lot you would have rated it a lot higher. I preferred movies like You've Been Served because their dance moves were way cooler! But overall the moview was a good watch and since I paid nothing to see it I can't really complain.

Heads up: Planet S and Rock 102 will be giving away free movie passes to two more movies in April. Next week they are giving away tickets to Scary Movie 4 and later in April to the movie The Rocket (which I think is about the hockey player Maurice Richard). So read your Planet S magazine (free almost anywhere in the city) to find out when to go pick up your tickets.

No comments: