Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Meeting an Olympian - Fact or Fiction

The nice thing about my job promoting the Hbc Run for Canada (have you signed up yet?) is that I get to do things during the day that don't require me to sit at a desk. Yesterday I went to get my blood checked at the local blood checking clinic. I usually go around 11:30am on Tuesdays because there is the smallest line up at that time, but I was already out and about and so I stopped in early. Of course there was a line up, but I didn't care as I sat down in the uncomfortable chairs to wait.

And that is when I saw it...first I only saw the first piece, then another one. Yes, I couldn't believe it! It was the Star Phoenix! I was pumped as I hadn't read the paper in like a week and I had lots of time to read it now. As I scanned through the pages I came across a brief little article about Jamie Cruikshank. She was going to be at the HMV in Midtown Plaza at 2:00pm to promote an Olympic DVD. This was great! I decided to go down there and talk to her to see if she knew about my run. The Hbc Run for Canada is a fundraiser to raise money for Olympic athletes and I figured that if I could tell her about it she could get her friends and family to sign up and help promote it.

So I get down to Midtown Plaza around 2:15pm (I didn't want to look too eager and be waiting there before 2:00pm) and stroll into the HMV. Now it's not a very big store and it only took about a millisecond before I spotted Jamie sitting behind a table of Olympic DVD's and signing them for a few people. There was really no line up after that so I only had to wait for around 30 seconds before I could talk to her. And the conversation went better than I could have ever hoped for.

Jamie is an extremely nice girl and when I told her about the run she was excited. I told her we were trying to raise a $5000 bursary each for 200 athletes across Canada and she said that was awesome. She told me that when she was training for the Olympics (she is a bobsledder for those who didn't know) she would practice for 4-6 hours a day and then have to go to work for another 4-6 hours (depending on the day) in order to pay for her living expenses and coaching costs. She said it was worth it, but if she could not have to work she would have had so much more energy to devote to her training. We chatted for a while longer and she offered to help out with our run whenever she could (she is often away from Saskatoon doing Olympic promos, etc.) I asked her if she could help out on event day and she said yes. So I've decided to make her the official starter of our 10K event!

Our conversation ended there because some more people came into the store to meet her and so I had to leave. But what a nice person...I really hope she gets picked to be one of the 200 athletes to receive the $5000 bursary.

Ok, vote below whether you think this is FACT or FICTION


Is "Meeting an Olympian" Fact or Fiction?
FACT
FICTION
Free polls from Pollhost.com

No comments: