Thursday, April 20, 2006

It's Official...The Day is Soon!


You know there are always days you don't ever forget. I think I will be having one of those shortly.

May 25th
That's the day. The day that some things will leave my body never to return again. I'm speaking of my spleen of course.
On May 25th I will be going under the knife and will have my spleen removed. This is a decision we've (myself, Shiela and the doctors) come to in order to help my ITP. For the most part I don't even think about my ITP. I just live life normally except for popping a few pills every morning and being all chummy with the nurses once a week at the 'ol local blood laboratory. However, I can't pop the pills forever and so by removing the spleen there is a good chance the problem will be solved.
The timing is actually perfect...almost. May 3rd I go for my physical to make sure I am not mentally insane and fit to stand trial, I mean surgery. May 15th I gofor my pre-surgery assessment. They haven't told me much about this, but I think it is where we go into the surgery room and I get to pick out which scalpel I want them to use, etc. I hear I even get to help sharpen it to make sure it's ready to go. Then I meet all the nurses that are going to see me naked on the operating table so I'm sure that won't be awkward at all! Finally they will be showing me to my cell where on May 25th I will sit and wait for my turn in the chair, I mean table. So I'm not sure exactly what is going ot happen, but I do know I will be asking for a nice steak from the Keg with a 2 litre of Coke for my final, I mean pre-surgery meal. Then they let me out on bail until May 25th where I will have to report back to the judge for my sentencing, I mean surgery.
The good part is that on May 17th I leave for Vancouver for a soccer tournament with my U13 boys Provincial team. I arrive back here on May 22nd to enjoy the last few days of sunshine before entering my cell. Then comes the really good part! I think I may be out of commission for a few weeks and guess what is on TV during that time...THE WORLD CUP!! I can't believe my luck! I'm going to be forced to sit at home and watch soccer games all day long. And when I need something I will just yell for the guard and they''ll bring me what I need. It's going to be a great time!!
The only down fall is that I won't be able to play soccer for quite a while. I'm hoping it heals quickly because I see good things for our Tauro club in the future!

No comments: