Saturday, May 26, 2007

Running Adventure

30 hours from now the gun is going to go and I will be running in a pack of 1500 people on my first ever 10K run. I'm a little scared to say the least because I haven't trained enough.

Today I went out for my last run before the event. My goal was to run longer than I have ever ran. I started running just like normal and about 2 minutes into it I hit the wall. Normally it takes people about half way through a race to hit the wall, but there it was, 2 minutes in. Luckily for me I did hurdles in track while in high school and I hurdled over the wall not letting it stop me...at least not completely. As I gasped for breath for the next few minutes after stumbling over the wall (I didn't say I was good at hurdles...I just did them) I finally got into my rhythem and managed to keep going.

About 4.5 km in I was getting quite tired. With my headphones on and my IPOD music going I decided to focus on the music for a bit to take my mind off of running. I turned up the volume and focused on the words. It was Guns N' Roses "Welcome to the Jungle" (I love the 80's!) playing as one of my pump up songs while I ran. As I listened to the words they said "Do you know where you are??? You're in the jungle baby.... and you're going to dieeeee!!!!!" Ok, I thought, maybe let's not focus on the words so much as I really didn't need someone to tell me that I was about to die from all this running...I knew that already!

I finally managed to finish the loop and crossed my finish line where I stopped my watch to look at the time...38 minutes. As I walked back home for my cool down I quickly did the math and figured I had run 6KM in 38 minutes which is approximately 6min and 20sec per KM. My goal is to finish the 10K in 60 minutes.

For all you math wizards out there, you can probably see two problems with that:
1) 6min and 20sec per KM multiplied by 10 isn't 60 minutes...it's around 63.5minutes
2) I've only run 6KM and am tired...the length of the run is 10KM. I probably won't be speeding up at the end to compensate for this extra time as I will be extremely tired since 6KM is the longest I have ever run at one time.

So Sunday will be an interesting day. I'm proud of myself for at least doing it instead of just talking about it and we'll see how it goes...maybe I'll surprise myself and end up running faster due to all the adrenaline and stuff. Truthfully, I just hope I can finish the 10K without becoming better friends with my wifes co-workers (she works for MD Ambulance).

If anyone is in Saskatoon on Sunday May 27th and wants to cheer me on, come on down to Diefenbaker Park at around 8:00am (it starts at 7:00am so if I reach my goal, by 8:00am I'll be celebrating) or stand somewhere along the 10K course (click here for a map) as it would be great to have the encouragement. If you really want some fun, stand around the 8KM marker as I'm thinking that is about where I will be collapsing from complete exhaustion!

Anyone want to guess a time for when I'll finish? I have a prize for whoever get's the closest without going over (must enter your guess before it is posted anywhere).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some words of advice from a friend of mine who is an experienced runner: The adrenaline of the race carries you through quite a distance. Keep going Sheldon! You can do it!

Sheldon said...

Thanks for the encouragement Cindy!