Monday, March 27, 2006

Fight Night!


I was at the soccer centre Sunday night and saw that Arsenix and Eclipse United were playing their game. I was there to watch Shiela play but I wandered over to the other game for a bit and watched. I obviously didn't stay long enough.

With 10 minutes left in the game someone received a yellow card. That player went to the box, but then two other players who looked like they were just goofing around suddenly slapped (or hit) each other and all hell broke loose! The guy in the box came running out and started throwing punches. Both benches were cleared. The Arsenix goalie came running down from the opposite end of the field to get involved and started throwing punches. Apparently there was some vicious moves as guys were getting their heads slammed into upcoming knees, etc. One guy for sure left bleeding with a badly ripped jersey. The game was abandoned and both teams left the field. But it didn't stop there! The Arsenix guys walked on the outside of the field to the Eclipse dressing room, grabbed one of the players by the throat and threw him up against the wall.

Someone eventually called the police ( I have no idea where SPI Security was that night) but I didn't see them talking to anyone so I don't know if anyone was laying charges. There were a total of 5 red cards given out and I'm sure they will all get 6-7 if not more game suspensions. They can pretty much kiss at least a 1/4 of their outdoor season goodbye.

And where was I during the fight? On the other side of the facility drinking my butter caramel smoothie from Tim Hortens and watching our Tauro FC girls clean up on yet another team. It was a great game, but definately not as good as a fight. Oh well.

UPDATE: The rumor mill is buzzing and last night I heard that one of the players actually punched the referee in the face! If that is true that guy will be suspended for a couple of years!

No comments: