Wednesday, March 15, 2006

I Met the Naked Man


I first received the email a few days ago. "I'm coming into the city on Wednesday. Let's meet somewhere." I read the email over again a few times. This man wanted to meet me. Alone. In the dark. No, wait, not in the dark as it will be in the afternoon. Phew. I emailed back,"Sure. Give me a call on my cell phone when you get into the city and we'll arrange a meeting." The plan was set.

I was out and about all day today cruising around and finding new places to put up posters to promote the best running event in the world called the Hbc Run for Canada. I was cruising down Arlington at around 1:30pm when my cell phone rang. I turned off the radio and picked up the phone, knowing who it was going to be. "Meet me at the corner of Louise and 8th at a place called Willy's." I didn't know which restaurant he was talking about and that gave me the willies, but I knew the location and headed on over there.

As I pulled up to Willy's I realized it was actually a place called Fajita Willy's. No problem, it was an open area, with lots of people, etc. As I stepped out of my car I glanced into the window and suddenly stared at the large "For Lease" sign in the window. The man was luring me to an abandoned restaurant. I quickly leaned back inside to find a weapon. Hmmm, what would work best. An old chocalate bar wrapper, an old coke bottle, or an old coke bottle. Ah, forget the weapon, how strong can a naked man be.

I was making my way up to the front of the door with the bag of "stuff" the man wanted. Suddenly a red truck screeched into the lot and came to a halt right in front of the door. I looked up just in time to see the man pointing at me with one finger and motioning for me to come into his truck. I was always told never to talk to strangers and DEFINATELY don't get into a strangers car (or truck), but what else could I do. The transaction had to take place and it looked like it was going to go down in the truck.

I got into the truck and the introductions happened quickly. I wanted to cut right to the chase, but the small talk started first. Oh, he was unaware that Fajita Willy's was closed when he asked me to meet him there. Phew. So this wasn't an elaborate plan to lure me to an abandoned restaurant. I finally made the transaction and handed him the bag I had. He took out some of the merchandise. "Not bad," he said. Then he reached into his bag and handed me the merchandise I was after. As I held it in my hands I could instantly tell his merchandise was not the same quality as mine, but I was expecting that. I mean, the brochures for our running event were made by a multi million dollar corporation and the brochures for his running event were made by a local community in a small town.

After the transaction was complete I talked a little more. "So you are from Eston," I began, "Were you one of the guys in the naked calendar?" Now for those of you who don't read the newspaper or listen to the radio or watch TV or take yearly vactions to the small town of Eston would probably not know that a bunch of older men decided they needed a fundraiser to raise money for a blood machine in their town. Every time someone needed certain blood tests done they had to drive an hour to Rosetown or Kindersley to get it done. So instead of that the town decided to make their own calendar of local naked men doing everyday things like riding a snowmobile, riding a riding lawn mower, etc. And yes, they were all naked.

"Actually, I was the one who planned the whole thing," the naked man informed me. I found out that this man initiated the whole calendar himself. He kept it very secretive the whole time and nobody knew they were even making the calendar until the day they released it to be sold. Even the men who were in the calendar did not know who the other men in the calendar were. So the entire town was extremely interested to find out which local men were in it. Word leaked out about the calendar and pretty soon it was all over the media, etc. and everyone knew about it. The naked man even said they were receiving money from people in the States who had heard about it. In the end they ended up raising about $29,000 for their cause which bought them their blood machine and a bunch of other things the town needed to.

It was pretty cool meeting the naked man behind all the other naked men of Eston. He is promoting an event in Eston called the Eston River Trek and is happening on May 13th. It looks like a great event and is actually very challenging...a lot more challenging than my 10K run. The Eston River Trek is actually a 40 mile walk along the river and surrounding landscape. You even have support vehicles, etc. to help you along the way. So click here to check it out...it looks like a lot of fun and if you live in Saskatoon and want a brochure let me know because I have some to give away for that event.

*P.S. At no time during my meeting with the naked man was he actually naked.

No comments: