Monday, May 8, 2006

Answer to Meeting an Olympian - Fact or Fiction

Most of you got this one right. The answer to this wonderful story is FALSE.

I wrote the story the way I had wanted it to turn out. In reality it went like this:

I left my house around 1:55pm and got to the Midtown Plaza around 2:10pm. I had all my brochures and posters in my bag and I sauntered into the mall like a man on a mission. After circling the mall because I didn't know where the HMV actually was, I finally found it. I went inside and looked around. Immediately I could see it...nothing. No lineups, no cameras, no reporters and worst of all no Jamie. I casually wandered around the store pretending to look at CD's so I didn't look like an idiot, all the while trying to see if she was somehow hiding in the store somewhere that I just didn't see. Of course I knew this was impossible since you can pretty much touch both sides of the store at the same time and it is a terrible room for hide and go seek.

I finally asked one of the workers if Jamie was going to come by and he said "Oh, she's already come and gone." Come and gone, I thought to myself. That has got to be the shortest autograph session I have ever heard of since it's only 2:15pm! "When was she here?" I asked him. "From 12:00 - 2:00pm," he answered back as he continued stacking CD's into the shelves. Hmmm....I must have read the paper wrong I thought as I pretended to look at CD's for a little bit longer so it didn't appear that I had purposefully come there to stalk Jamie. Then I slowly walked out as normal as possible, walked back to my car and drove off to the train bridge to watch pelicans for a few minutes before going home. Oh well, I missed my chance there but hopefully there will be more.

So that's the real story. Stay tuned for my next Fact or Fiction story..."The Mysteriously Silent Monkey"

No comments: