Friday, September 23, 2005

Do I really want a job?

I went to Career Expo today at the University of Saskatchewan where they have all these different companies there recruiting people and telling them how great their companies are. I don't really know why I went. Well, for the obvious reason of looking for a job, but the problem was that nagging question..."Do I really want a job?"

Being currently unemployed this debate has been going on in my mind for a while. Now don't get me wrong...I'm not saying I don't want to work. I just don't know if I want to work for someone else. That's right, I think I really want to start my own business.

For any of you that know me you will know that I come up with new business ideas all the time. I'm definately a dreamer. But now it's time to put my money, time, and energy into actually making one of those ideas come true. The problem, I've realized, is that all my business ideas require a large capital investment. This doesn't overly concern me because I feel that with a sound business plan I could attract some investors into making one of my ideas work, but it is definately an obstacle to overcome.

There are definately pros and cons to having your own business. The guaranteed income and benefits of working for another person are really great and I've enjoyed my last 3 years doing that. I just don't know if I can do that forever. With my own business my earning potential is unlimited, but I will be working extremely hard to make it a success. The best part is that at the end of the day I can say "This is mine, I've worked hard for this." (Actually, I should be saying "This is God's", but I'll save that for another post) Deep down I just really feel that I need to start something.

So what about you? Have you ever considered starting you own business? Do you think I should gamble and start something or take a regular job again? Let me know in the comments section!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sheldon,

I don't know what type of business you're looking to set up, but these links may be of interest to you (they're web design/development related, but still some good stuff): About going solo and Steps to Becoming a Freelance Web Developer. Remember that as you've pointed out, it will take a LOT of work for the first while, maybe even the first few years, but if it all comes together, working independently can be very rewarding.

I'd say do it now, while you and Shiela have this sort of flexibility. I have quite a few friends who've gone this route, and while it's initially tough, they wouldn't trade their new lifestyle/business for the traditional corporate environment anymore.