Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Quiznos Experience - Fact or Fiction


A few years ago Saskatoon got its first Quiznos restaurant. Being a hard core Subway fan since high school I didn't figure I wanted to change to a new place to get my wonderful pizza subs (I always get pizza subs). However, due to the great marketing they were doing, I wanted to get in on this new sub action that was suppose to be so good since Quiznos toasted their buns (big whoop, but it sold me and I'm sure millions of others!)

So one day Shiela, myself and a couple other friends decide to venture to Quiznos to try out these great toasted subs. As we walk up to the counter I take a look at the menu and am completely lost. I looked for a very long time, but finally the realization hit me...THEY DON'T HAVE A PIZZA SUB (at least I couldn't see one on the menu). Shiela smiled at me with that knowing look that says "Ha, now you have to try something new!" I smiled back with my sarcastic "ok, you may win this battle, but the war is far from over baby!" look.

After carefully analyzing the options I finally selected the Angus Steak sub. It looked ok. I mean really, how bad can steak be! And then it happened. I saw my bun go into the toaster and come out the other side. No problem. I moved down the line (just like I always did at Subway) and suddenly I see them putting things on my sub! "Whooooaa Nelly!! Is that my sub?" I quickly asked the lady in a panic. The reply was affirmative. Thoughts ran through my mind as I tried to figure a way out of this situation. "Um...I don't think I want an Angus Steak sub anymore." The look in the girls eyes that was making my sub was not pleasant, but she took the stuff off my sub and went back to the start again. Phew! I realized the problem now...they don't ask you what you want on your sub at Quiznos!!! For a picky eater like myself, this is a living nightmare!

I look back up at the menu again and try to decide what to order. It needs to be something I like since they aren't going to ask me what I want on it. I finally decide on my new sub choice...just a simple steak sub. Yeah, it was basically the same as the one I just had them throw out and the look in the girls eyes behind the counter let me know it. As my sub went through their process I realized that there were mushrooms on this selection of mine. Oh well, I could pick those off...or maybe I won't even taste them. I finally get my sub and go to sit down at the table with everyone else.

As I pick up the sub I'm pretty excited about this new adventure I'm on. I'm at a new eating place, trying out a new type of sub (a toasted steak sub) and I didn't even tell them what I wanted on it. As all this ran through my head something came loose because I suddenly convinced myself that the mushrooms on this sub wouldn't be all that bad and I probably wouldn't even notice them. And with that thought, I took a big bite into my sub.

And it wasn't too bad. Yeah, I could taste a little mushroom but the rest of the sub was not bad and the toasted bun was cool. I slowly munched on that bite contemplating in my head how this new adventure may change me forever. Maybe I will no longer need to analyze every McDonalds burger I order to ensure its plain. Maybe I really do like ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise. Maybe I should try some potatoe salad (or any salad for that matter) at the next BBQ I go to. With these thoughts going through my head I head into my second big bite of that sub. But this time it wasn't so good. My teeth sunk through that warm toasted bun and sliced through the juicy steak, but suddenly there was a taste that overtook everything...mushrooms. My entire mouth started to rebel! "What did we ever do to you to deserve this," screamed my tastebuds. I couldn't chew it because it was too gross. My mouth was full and the gross taste of the mushrooms was overtaking me. I started to panic. I threw back my chair, jumped up and hurridly looked around for the nearest garbage. I bolted over to it and spit the mouthful of awful tasting sub into the garbage.

After coming out of the bathroom from rinsing my mouth out I went back to my table. I gave the rest of my sub to someone else since I was just going to throw it away. I just wasn't hungry anymore (I can't imagine why) As we walked out of that establishment I took one last look behind me because it was at that moment I decided I would never again set foot inside another Quiznos sub shop.

Do you think this story is fact or fiction? Do you have any Quizno's stories? Let me know in the comments section.

2 comments:

Janelle said...

i think it's fiction - because you are too much of a sensitive guy to go running to the garbage can and spit it out - you would have been more discreet. i don't have any quizno stories except that it is STINKIN expensive!!

andrew + camille said...

fact.
you sound like a fussy dude!!