Friday, September 2, 2005

Losing a Bet: Fact or Fiction

Some of you are probably wondering what in the world I was doing in the picture that is in the About Me section on the right hand side of this page. Well, here's the story.

It was a Cover-All Marketing Event and our department decided to do a GolfBQ. Yeah, it's exactly what you think it is. We were going to go golfing and then have a BBQ. Now if we were normal people we would have called it just that, golfing and then a BBQ. But since we were a bunch of crazy, off the wall marketing people we had to give it a fun name...GolfBQ.

Anyways, I was golfing with a couple of females from our department (purposefully set up that way so that my golf game would look good) and we were just finished the 8th hole. Now, this was very uncommon for me, as we walked from the 8th hole to the 9th hole I started trash talking the two females about how much better guy golfers are then girls. I suddenly realized I was the only one still walking and talking and had to suddenly turn around to see if aliens had abducted them into space or something. They hadn't, but for some reason these females had taken offense to my candid comments and said I was lying. I smiled back and said "whatever" in an "ok, let's not argue voice". And then it happened. "Do you wanna make a bet?" one of them asked. Bet...Bet...Bet.... Now you need to understand something about me. I love to bet! On lots of things, just for fun or for money or cokes (especially cokes). I tried to pretend that I was a little scared to bet, but who am I kidding, they had me at hello!

The bet was that on the ninth hole one of them would beat or tie me, but they got to play "best ball", which is where they each hit a ball and then whichever one of them hits it the best they both take their next shot from there. If I won they would buy me a 2 litre Coke. If they won, they got to pick something for me to do later that evening. I snickered on the inside as this was the easiest bet I ever made. What did I care what they chose. I had beaten them on every hole so far. Had I looked up at that exact moment I probably would have seen my golf skill (as little as it is) slowly leave me and float into the sky, because I was about to have a lot of bad luck. I teed off first, but instead of nailing it up the fairway I completely sliced it into a bunch of spread out trees on the right. No problem, I could easily find that. They both teed off and one of them hit it right up the middle about 180 yards. Not bad. I went off into the open trees searching for my golf ball. The problem was that the entire area around the trees was covered in leaves. I searched and searched but could never find my ball. Oh well, so I'm shooting 3 now from in the trees. I could still beat them. I nailed the next shot perfectly. Perfectly that is if I was trying to avoid all the trees except for the last one. My ball nailed the side of the tree and bounced straight sideways into the middle of the fairway, right beside the girls ball. I was now shooting 4 from the same spot where they were shooting 2. I graduated from Commerce and so I did the math. This wasn't looking good.

Little did I know that one of these female golf partners had been taking lessons over the summer and her favourite club (she told me later) was the 5 iron. And she smoked it. It was the furthest shot I had seen her hit all round. Granted this hole wasn't very long, but her shot rolled all the way up to around 3 feet from the green. I had to take 2 shots to get it on the green since my ball decided to go for a tan on the beach. The girls both decided to putt from 3 feet off the green and managed to get one of their balls about 4 feet from the hole. And then sunk it. Yeah, they parred it. As for me, I hung my head in shame with a pathetic 6.

So, as the picture clearly shows, my punishment was that for the entire BBQ I had to wear my hat over my eyes. And yes, it does make it difficult to walk around and talk to people, eat and drink. But it could have been much worse. I'm glad someone took a picture though as it is quite funny! And no, the females that beat me still remind me to this day to never underestimate a girl.

So what do you think? Fact or Fiction? Let me know in the Comments section and your reason. I'll post the answer in a couple days.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is fact. Fun blog! I lol'd all the way through.Does your wife read it to stay updated? :)

Janelle said...

Sheldon! you are hilarious! who needs to work when you can make up stories all day - this is your calling! you just need to get someone to pay you...sorry, i would if i could!! hope you are feeling better! luckily soccer's almost done so it can't torture you anymore! take care, we'll see you soon!
p.s. do we win a prize if we answer true or false correctly??

Anonymous said...

True - I believe it! Because I know that if you did lose the bet you would definitely fulfill your obligation to the winners.
And it is funny to think of you doing this all evening!!

Anonymous said...

Fact- even if it's false, I always like stories that end up with females trumping cocky guys.

ASIDE- Cocky is used loosely- not in a bad judgemental way...